You can’t feel like a Christmas scrooge after going to see The Nutcracker ballet at the Lincoln Center in New York (preferably when its snowing!). The first time I saw it I was hanging out for the well known classics like the Nutcracker March, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy etc. Last night, I was waiting for this one amazing piece that was new to me last time but couldn’t remember which part it was. Turns out it was the pas de deux (duet) – A Pine Forest in Winter - where the Sugar Plum Fairy dances with her prince. The music is so moving that you want to close your eyes and listen but the Balanchine’s version of the dance is lovely so you can't close your eyes! Although I don’t know much about ballet it seems really classic and poised - not too much jumping around with great controlled poses, lifts and turns. He adds something that is really special that I didn’t see anywhere else in the ballet where the ballerina is pulled across the stage while on pointe. There are a lot of different versions out there, from more well known theatres and ballet companies, but I found this version, although not Balanchine’s, its seemed similar and I liked it.
No comments:
Post a Comment