





Whether I'm staying at a 40 buck per night hostel and asking how to get to a restaurant where I will spend 400 bucks on dinner, or I'm at a 400 buck per night hotel and asking how to get to a beer joint underneath a railway track, I always get strange looks from hotel staff. Now I have a thick skin for that kind of judgement and I do what I want cos yes, sometimes I'll feel like fois gras and sometimes I'll feel like a Big Mac, so to speak.
Wandering around underneath the Yurakucho railway track on a sweltering Tokyo evening is an interesting experience. I saw my first homeless japanese person while the smell of miso and garbage wafted around me. I peeked into one Izakaya after another while trains clattered across the track above, trying to decide where to eat. In the end I settled on a place where some old guy was clapping at me to come in. I sat at the wooden bar with a big draft Asahi and ordered tofu, sashimi and korrokke. The waiter told me that was enough for 3 people but I didn't care....and ate most of it. Mmm. The rest I took for the sleeping homeless guy on my way back. Itadakimasu!
That was like the time we were in istanbul and asking the hotel staff for a cab to go to those upscale restaurants and they were just looking at us thinking "why are you guys even staying at this hoste;"!
ReplyDelete