I have consulted many people, with different muscial backgrounds, on the question of creating music and whether they were producers of electronic music, DJs, jazz or other classical musicians one message consistently rang clear which was 'stop thinking'. A few weeks ago I did that and this is short piece is what my fingers decided to play. An intuitive young man I have recently had the pleasure of getting to know better told me that it reminded him of the rain. Its the first original piece and maybe the last. Either way a broken barrier for me, so thank you to all the people in my life who have shared their passion for music with me, especially mother dearest who tirelessly sat through the tantrums and lessons and gave me these fingers (Sorry I broke one of them :/)! Hope you like it.
(All the people who have influenced and encouraged me musically will know that I am a classical pianist - a puritan one? If that makes sense
Usually these days, if its not me playing, I hear classical music faintly floating around the lobby of high end hotels I stay in while I have my travelling consultant hat on. Gone are the days where I heard it loud and chaotic in the room next door or crashing on 10 pianos at once walking down a hallway of the Conservatorium. Another lifetime.
Listening to it clears out the clutter in my mind. But it has also been a sort of a prison. As time passes, I think more about how things should evolve and the concept that evolution should be organic. But the very thread of classical training is technical and rigid - ironically, musicality is mandatory in order to play something well ... but "you must pay attention" to the italian written on the manuscript that tells you whether you should crescendo (gradually increase volume), play dolce (sweetly) or use rubato (abandon tempo). In my mind, can still see my piano teacher gesticulating over me while I played. Sometimes she would grab my elbows in the heat of the moment to get me to 'use big arms' which would just make me screw up and have to start all over again.
Anyway just a stream of consciousness I was mulling over)
No comments:
Post a Comment