As somewhat of a 'family-less transient' here in New York family dinners come in many different shapes and sizes but they do happen! My boo and I try to do Sunday family dinners which are great after an inevitably hectic week of running around new york city - we try all kinds of things and sometimes I'll try to bring my family to the table by trying to replicate something they used to feed me. I love his enthusiasm for love of food and am grateful for his openness to indulge with me in my slight obsession. Sometimes its with friends (my brothers from another mother) at the shabby-chic palace in Brooklyn. When we're lucky, the twin's mother is in town and cooks us up some southern soul food ...and the most dangerously delicious cheesecake I have ever had in my life. Big call. Especially since I don't even really like cheesecake and I want to face plant in this one.
Today, An Choi, the vietnamese restaurant down the street opened their extended dining space. Its been a month or so in the making, literally, with lots of odds and ends being drilled together to make furniture and to fit the space out. Its a lovely little airy quirky space, different to its moodier counterpart next door. I was invited to join them for the staff meal. It was a simple fare of salmon, cucumbers and rice and (of course) reminded me of home!




No comments:
Post a Comment